12.01.2008

Dreamy Autumn Days



When I signed up for this blog I had every intention of posting something substantial within the first week. Only now almost 3 months later am I sitting down to write something!
After a helter skelter fall full of travels and birthdays and deadlines I am finally able to sit down with a cup of Cappuccino Rooibos tea (which can be found here among other treasures) and write. Hooray!
A ceramic piece made by our friend Rick Van Dyke given to us for a wedding gift.

I am working almost every day now in the studio, other wise known as our garage. I am currently finishing a piece that my friend Ben commissioned and can't wait to post pictures of it as soon as I am through. It has been a fun and challenging project for me. I feel like it's a great start to a whole new body of work. I spent most of last year making block prints and it's time for a bit of a change into something more risky. So, I am experimenting with drawing and collage again and finding that I love the immediacy of it after all the printing. It's just fantastic to be making marks on paper again.
It has been so fun to be puttering away out there in the cold weather with a warm hat cutting paper and drawing mustard greens and ships and nests all onto wonderful seagreen/grey fabriano paper.
I am losing hours while split pea soups simmers in the house on the stove and I am loving it.

Since it's been a long haul to get a space cleared in the garage I am posting a few pictures of my work space and some of things around the house that make me happy right now.

My inspiration board.


The wee art space.

Inks and things.


Paper Waiting to be made into something beautiful or pasted onto my drawings.

Organized colors.

Picking our first Mustard Greens on Thanksgiving day. It was unfortunately rather balmy at around 70 degrees, thus the t-shirt. Thankfully the next day it was back to chilly.

The Autumn is my favorite season for just about everything, food, clothing, weather, holidays and light. It's the perfect time to be cozy, the perfect time for dreamy music and mohair scarves and the perfect time to settle into a rhythm. We have been gone so much of the last few months that being home and quiet is a real treat for me. It's also really exciting that the cool weather seem to finally be here for good.
Now, I know it's December 1st and for many of you living in the northern states I am sure it seems silly to be talking of Autumn this late. But it takes a while for Autumn to reach Texas. I really appreciate it when it gets here no matter how late. I am content to be carving out my own little rhythm of working, learning, making, cooking and gardening. I hope it becomes steady and solid and at the end of the winter I discover that I have a treasure of creative projects to show for it.
Ornaments waiting for their tree.

Sunday was the beginning of Advent and we got out all the Christmas stuff... I guess that means I have to admit Autumn is almost over. :(

3 comments:

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

PHAEDRA!!
I'm supposed to be being all-productive today and then I saw your post and your flicker and I can't do anything because I'm sitting here clicking through your artwork photos again and again and again and...
[p.s. I love Autumn,too, and even though it came in plenty of time here in NY I'm being pretty passive-aggressive about taking down my Thanksgiving decorations. Brian is Mr. Christmas and has taken over one room of decorations so far. We have a battle line drawn between the front room and the dining room. : ) ]

Phaedra Jean Taylor said...

Tamara!
I was just thinking about you and wondering how the weather up in New York is? I am sure that our wimpy Autumn temperature is nothing compared to your chilly days!
I think we are getting our Christmas tree tonight, but I am keeping the bowl of squash on the kitchen table they are just too beautiful to put away... or eat! Somehow I can totally see Brian as Mr. Christmas. I imagine him singing in a jazzy style "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" with tinsel around his neck:).

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

I read your comment to Brian and he immediately dove into his lounge-lizard rendition. Thank you for that, Phaedra. Really, thanks.
: )