6.10.2009

A Death in the Depths of a Drive


[Artwork: A Portrait of John the Baptist, Bees wax, paper, found objects, 2003]

That is to say: My hard drive crashed.

This is so sad. Not only do I have lots of art related stuff stored on that hard drive. I also have honeymoon pictures and engagement journals. Of course nothing is backed up. It might be retrievable, but only for large amounts of cash.

Life.

Since I don't have hours of access to a computer, here are a few lists for fun and a quote from the Grapes of Wrath, which I'm currently reading, for your general inspiration.

Interesting words from last night's Scrabble Game with David:

1. Quad
2. Talkie
3. Novice
4. Gonad
5. Latex
6. Venus
7. Ooze
8. Jihad

Things we have eaten this week:

1. Spicy Sausage with Fresh Corn and Tomato/Cucumber/Feta Salad
2. Al Pastor Tacos with Avocado, Chips and Salsa
3. Ancho Pepper, Tomato, Feta and Sausage Frittata
4. Buffalo, Rutabega and Imperial Delight Squash Soup
5. Grilled Brie and Tomato Sandwich with Spicy Mustard
6. Beef Fajitas

My To-Do List for Today

1. Make bed
2. Fold laundry
3. Clean kitchen
4. Make GF (Gluten Free, not to be confused with Galactic Federation) bread
5. Make hummus
6. Make granola
7. Work on email
8. Blog
9. Pay bills
10. Make acupuncture apt.
11. Water garden
12. Call Erin
13. Put away winter clothes
14. Get in the studio
15. Swim laps

My list of art pieces to make:

1. Heart Sleeve
2. Kingfisher and chickens
3. Bears and small horses
4. Kids with snake
5. Crouched girl
6. Kids with big tall hats
7. Honey Buzzard
8. Gloynbyw - Butterfly or living coal
9. Paralian, one who lives by the sea
10. With gladness and singleness of heart
11. The beginning and the end
12. Swan song

***********************************************************

"The concrete highway was edged with a mat of tangled, broken dry grass, and the grass heads were heavy with oat beards to catch on a dog's coat, and foxtails to tangle in a horse's fetlocks, and clover burrs to fasten in sheep's wool; sleeping life waiting to be spread and dispersed, every seed armed with an appliance of dispersal, twisting darts and parachutes for the wind, little spears and balls of tiny thorns, and all waiting for animals and for the wind, for a man's trouser cuff or the hem of a woman's skirt, all passive but armed with appliances of activity, still, but each possessed of the anlage of movement."

The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck (Chapter 3, Paragraph 1)

Please note that entire paragraph is all one sentence.

I hope you get all your to-do's accomplished today!

8 comments:

Dennis Family said...

Shoot. I'm so sorry about your hard drive. It happened to us two years ago...not fun at all.

Ben Langford said...

pj, so sorry to hear about the hard drive, my friend. I won't give you any advice, ok? I just love you. and I miss you. come meet elijah soon.

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

Your lists make me smile. I was just sitting down to write my own. I've decided to skip making the bed (and the bread) but do have to make doctor's appts., catch up on emails, deadhead my flowers, write a blog post, clean the bathrooms, and figure out what I'm supposed to be when I grow up. OH! and back up my hard drive. (i am so, SO sad you lost so many treasures)

Leigh said...

Hi friend. I am thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

great use of wax. have you been using bee's wax in your more recent pieces?

Jerrol said...

But Macs are infallible!

:0

Jerrol said...

I'm concerned about your use of the term "Galactic Federation." Surely you have not confused it with the "United Federation of Planets," as featured in the Star Trek universe? Just checking.

By the way, all your meals sound divine, particularly the brie and tomato thingy.

Jerrol said...

"Please note that entire paragraph is all one sentence."

That just makes it annoying, not special.