1.27.2010

Things to love and St. Thomas


Tomorrow is the feast day of St. Thomas Aquinas. He once said: " The things that we love tell us what we are." In honor of that idea here is a quick list of some things I love. I don't know if they will tell me what I am, but I do think it will be a fun exercise. What things do you love?  


1. Green things

2. Poems

3. Old Paper

4. Books

5. Red Stitching

6. Seeds

7. Scarves

8. Kids

9. Food

10. Words

11. Tablecloths

12. Maps

13. Birds

14. Old Boxes

15. Wax





We are fields before each other
How is it they live for eons in such harmony–
the billions of stars–
when most men can barely go a minute
without declaring war in their mind against someone they know.
There are wars where no one marches with a flag,
though that does not keep casualties
from mounting.
Out hearts irrigate the earth.
We are fields before
each other.
How can we live in harmony?
First we need to know
we are all madly in love
with the same
God.
-St. Thomas Aquinas






8 comments:

J A Dunham said...

tea & honey,
picture books,
baby giggles,
hymns,
my pug,
and
my husband's self-deprecating wit.


Love this poem by St. Thomas.

shannon newby said...

have you seen this incredible stitch artist? Eye - candy! http://www.joettamaue.com/

shannon newby said...

and Jacquline Rush Lee's use of old books in sculpture? http://www.jacquelinerushlee.com/index.html

Phaedra Jean Taylor said...

J A, that's a great list! I should have put tea on mine.

Shan, I love these artist! I had not seen either of them. Those books sculptures are out of this world. I would love to see them in person. Can't wait to see you at Laity in March! Love you new work so much.

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

oooo...i love lists! can i put "lists" on my list of things i love??

Phaedra Jean Taylor said...

Tam - Totally, it should be on my list. I loooove lists.

Unknown said...

(Thank you for including poetry! A generous shout-out among all those other beautiful things in your list.)

Phaedra Jean Taylor said...

Susanna,

I could not live in a world without poetry. I am guessing you would have a hard time also. :)